Yummy Recipe Monday: Beef Green Chili and Tomato Stew
Beef, Green Chili and Tomato Stew
2 h 30 m
- Ready In
"I love the green chilies in this stew and the rich, flavorful sauce of this stew is wonderful! Serve over rice, or with a crusty bread, and salad for a wonderful winter meal."
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can roma tomatoes, with juice
- 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chile peppers, drained
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat until hot, but not smoking. Pat the meat dry with paper towels and brown in batches, transferring the meat with a slotted spoon to a bowl as they are done.
- In the fat remaining in the pot, cook the onions until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Return meat to the pot with any juices in the bowl and add the tomatoes with juice, chiles, beer, beef broth, oregano, cumin, and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer, partially covered, for 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.