Yummy Recipe Monday: Cheesy Potato Pot Pie
Cheesy Potato Pot Pie
You Can Do Better Ramen (1:03)More
PREP 20 MINS
COOK 20 MINS
This is a great comfort food for vegetarians. You can make your own pie crust if you have the time. I got the general recipe from foodreference.com, but tweaked it quite a bit to suit our tastes. Feel free to use any kinds of vegetables or seasonings you prefer.
* 1 prepared deep dish pie shell, prebaked
* 5 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
* 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
* 2 green onions, finely chopped
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1⁄2 cup corn, fresh or frozen
* 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped or shredded
* 1⁄2 cup broccoli, fresh or frozen
* 1⁄2 cup chopped green beans, fresh or frozen
* 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
* 2 1⁄2 cups milk
* 1⁄2 cup parmesan-romano cheese mix, grated
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
* 2 eggs, divided
* 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Check Out Our Top Savory Pies Recipe
* Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
* Melt the butter in a deep, wide sautee pan over medium-low heat.
* Add the onions,garlic and vegetables, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
* Stir in the potatoes and enough milk to almost cover the potatoes.
* Bring to a boil over high heat.
* Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
* Partially mash the potatoes with a potato masher in the pan.
* Stir in the parmesan-romano cheese, thyme, mustard, salt, and pepper.
* Remove from the heat to cool slightly.
* Meanwhile, lay 1/2 cup Cheddar over the bottom of the prepared crust.
* Stir the egg yolks into the potato mixture.
* Beat the egg whites with clean dry beaters
* in a medium bowl until almost-stiff peaks form when the beaters are lifted.
* Gently fold the whites into the potato mixture, then scrape the filling over the Cheddar in the crust. Sprinkle the paprika and other 1/2 cup Cheddar over the filling.
* Bake until puffed and golden, about 20-30 minutes. Let cool before serving.
Don't remember where I got this recipe from, but it's good.