Yummy Recipe Monday: 50 Bar Cookies
Bar Cookie Basics
* Line a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two sides; coat the foil with cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (unless making no-bake bars, Nos. 44 through 50).
* Prepare your batter or dough. Spread in the prepared pan or press in using damp or oiled fingers.
* Bake as directed, then transfer to a rack and let cool completely in the pan.
1. Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars Beat 2 sticks softened butter and 1 cup each granulated and light brown sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy; add 3 eggs and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Reduce the speed to low. Add 3 cups flour and 3/4 teaspoon each baking soda and salt; beat until combined. Stir in one 12-ounce bag chocolate chips. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
2. M&M Bars Make Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars (No. 1), replacing the chocolate chips with 1 1/2 cups M&M's and 1 cup mini chocolate chips.
9. Sugar Cookie Bars Melt 2 sticks butter; let cool slightly. Whisk in 1 1/2 cups sugar, 3 eggs and 1 tablespoon vanilla. Stir in 2 cups flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bake until the edges are set but the center is soft, about 25 minutes.
10. Birthday Cake Bars Make Sugar Cookie Bars (No. 9); fold 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles into the batter before baking. Spread vanilla frosting over the cooled bars; top with more sprinkles.
21. Cheesecake Bars Mix 3 cups finely ground graham crackers with 1/4 cup sugar and 1 1/2 sticks melted butter. Press into the prepared pan; bake 10 minutes. Let cool completely. Beat 24 ounces softened cream cheese with 1 cup sugar until smooth. Beat in 2 eggs, 1/4 cup sour cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Spread over the crust; bake until the edges are set but the center is still loose, about 30 minutes. Let cool, then chill until set.
We've tried the M&M bars, cheesecake bars and the birthday cake bars. They're good. Got the recipes from Food Network magazine. A little booklet was in it titled 50 Bar Cookies. Here is a link to the 50 Bar Cookies from foodnetwork.com.
50 Bar Cookies
50 Bar Cookies