Sacred Truth Friday: 7:Walks of Ephesians; Spiritual Gifts


Morning Sermon
7 Walks of Ephesians


And you He made alive,  who were dead in trespasses and sins,in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience,among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others. - Ephesians 2:1-3 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians2:1-3&version=NKJV
A. My preconversioned state
    1. I walked according to sin
    2. I walked according to the world

For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. - Ephesians 2:10 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians2:10&version=NKJV
A. I am His workmanship, created for good works
    1. Walk in good works

I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called,with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love,endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. - Ephesians 4:1-3 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians4:1-3&version=NKJV
A. I should walk worthy of the calling
    1. In humility, gentleness, patience, peace

This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind,having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart;who, being past feeling, have given themselves over to lewdness, to work all uncleanness with greediness. - Ephesians 4:17-19 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians4:17-19&version=NKJV
A. I should never walk as an unbeliever

Therefore be imitators of God as dear children.And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma. - Ephesians 5:1-2 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians5:1-2&version=NKJV
A. Instead I should imitate God
B. And walk in love


Therefore do not be partakers with them.For you were once darkness, but now you are  light in the Lord. Walk as children of light - Ephesians 5:7-8 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians5:7-8&version=NKJV
A. I am a child of light
    1. Walk as one

See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise,redeeming the time, because the days are evil. - Ephesians 5:15-16 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians5:15-16&version=NKJV
A. I should walk circumspectly, wise, not as a fool

Lesson: walk in God's light.



Afternoon Sermon
Spiritual Gifts 

Spiritual Gifts Enumerated
But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all:for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit,to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit,to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills. - 1 Corinthians 12:7-11 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1Corinthians12:7-11&version=NKJV

Spiritual Gifts Regulated
And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.Let all things be done decently and in order. - 1 Corinthians 14:32-33,40 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1Corinthians14:32-33,40&version=NKJV

Spiritual Gifts Ceased
Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.For we know in part and we prophesy in part.But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love. - 1 Corinthians 13:8-13 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1Corinthians13:8-13&version=NKJV

Lesson: the miraculous age of the first century is over, since we now have the revelation of God's Word, the Bible. But this lesson still rings true: if I don't use my God-given talents and abilities out of love and to edify the church, I am nothing. 

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.And though I have the gift of  prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. - 1 Corinthians 13:1-3 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1Corinthians13:1-3&version=NKJV

2 wonderful sermons from Stephen Wiggins


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yummy Recipe Monday: Strawberry Slab Pie

Gospel Wednesday: Romans Chapter 10: Confess Him

Happy Easter