Yummy Recipe Monday: Lemon Snowball Cookies
LEMON SNOWBALL COOKIES
yield: 40-44 COOKIES
Lemon Snowball Cookies - an easy wedding cookie recipe filled with lemon zest, juice, and extract. These are the perfect tea cake cookies!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1-2 cups powdered sugar + 2 teaspoons lemon zest, for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Beat butter, powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon extract, and salt until smooth, then stir in lemon zest. Add the flour and mix until a stiff dough forms. If you're using a stand mixer, this will just take a minute or so. If you're using a hand mixer it will take much longer.
- Scoop tablespoon sized cookies onto your cookie sheet. These don't spread so you can crowd them a bit, leaving about 1-2" between cookies. Bake for 8-12 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking, until the cookies are no longer wet looking. Cool 10 minutes before rolling in powdered sugar.
- Stir powdered sugar and lemon zest together in a bowl. Roll cookies to coat. If desired, do a second roll once they're completely cool, so they're perfectly white.
- Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to one month.
Make them orange or lime using equal amounts of either citrus in place of the lemon.
DO NOT pack your flour or powdered sugar. If you think your dough is not coming together, just keep mixing. It will!
My mom's Russian Tea Cake recipe.
© Crazy for Crust. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.