Sacred Truth Friday: Do You Love Me?

This past Sunday Hershel Bearden, a missionary who does work in India,  visited our congregation during the afternoon service and delivered a wonderful sermon:

Do You Love Me?

1  Jesus is betrayed by Judas and arrested. Peter denies Him 3 times. Jesus is questioned by the high priest, and Barabbas is released (John chapter 18).  The soldiers mock Jesus, Pilate delivers Him to be crucified, and He is nailed to a cross. He dies, and is buried in a rich man's tomb (chapter 19).  He rises again and His disciples are witnesses to His resurrection (chapter 20).
Simon Peter, with 6 other disciples, goes fishing. They catch nothing, though they fish all night. The next morning they see a man on shore who tells them to cast their net on the right side of the boat. They do so and catch 153 fish. John recognizes the man as Jesus. Jesus has breakfast prepared for them: fish and bread.

2 What Kind of Love?
John 21:15-17

John 21:15-17 New King James Version (NKJV)
Jesus Restores Peter
15 So when they had eaten breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of [a]Jonah, do you love Me more than these?”

He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I [b]love You.”

He said to him, “Feed My lambs.”

16 He said to him again a second time, “Simon, son of [c]Jonah, do you love Me?”

He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I [d]love You.”

He said to him, “Tend My sheep.”

17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of [e]Jonah, do you [f]love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?”

And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.”

Jesus said to him, “Feed My sheep.

Footnotes:
John 21:15 NU John
John 21:15 have affection for
John 21:16 NU John
John 21:16 have affection for
John 21:17 NU John
John 21:17 have affection for
New King James Version (NKJV)
Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
This sermon makes me think: Do I love Jesus above all? Do I love Him with agape love? Would I give my life for Him? Sadly, no.
I need to grow in my  faith,  and pray for my love to increase.
Will do so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yummy Recipe Monday: Strawberry Slab Pie

Gospel Wednesday: Romans Chapter 10: Confess Him

Happy Easter